Front Page Slideshow
Harbour House Self Catering Accommodation
Isle of Whithorn Harbour
Isle Of Whithorn
Looking across the harbour at the Isle Of Whithorn
Low tide at the Isle Of Whithorn
Fishing boat leaving Isle Of Whithorn
Isle Of Whithorn
Isle of Whithorn is one of the most southerly villages and seaports in Scotland, lying on the coast north east of Burrow Head, about three miles from Whithorn in Dumfries and Galloway.
The village is the location of the long ruined 13th century Saint Ninian's Chapel, previously a chapel linked to Whithorn Priory
and a stopping off point for pilgrims landing on Isle Head and making their way to Whithorn. No longer a true island, John Ainslie's maps as late as 1782 and 1821 show the Isle as an island.
The main street was originally a causeway, with the harbour located on what was then the true Isle.
For years visitors have come to the Isle to behold the picture postcard view that has made a fortune for film manufacturers and the holiday snap business. Designated an outstanding conservation area, the graceful crescent of shore and neat houses that make up the harbour presents perfect proportions in any camera viewfinder.
A haunt for smugglers, and a principal harbour for legitimate trade and transport - here you caught the Countess of Galloway, the steam packet which would take you to Liverpool and maybe a passage on an emigrant ship to the New World or Australia.
Through Physgill Glen, on the Solway shore south of Whithorn, St. Ninian’s Cave is said to have been St. Ninian’s retreat and although no evidence has been found there is no reason to doubt the connection. In 1871 an incised cross was found and excavation in 1884 revealed a number of crosses now removed to the Historic Scotland Museum in Whithorn for safe-keeping. The Catholic Diocese of Galloway annually holds a pilgrimage to St. Ninian's Cave on the last Sunday in August. There are also youth pilgrimages and a Christian Aid walk to the cave. For further information www.whithorn.com